Sunday, August 07, 2005

Another first for EnnyPen

This year has been a year of firsts.

For me: I bought my first couch. First coffee table. First TV Unit. First clothes hanger dryer. First laptop. First day back at uni

For blogging: My first post. My first comment. My first comment on another blog. My first reply to a comment on another blog. The first time I was linked. The first time I was found thru some terribly inappropriate google search.

Tonight was the first time I made mashed potato (feedback seems to be that it was too lumpy, too much, not cooked enough and even though I said it was for nutrition, he thinks I was just too lazy to do the peeling and that's why it was a little chewy).

And plenty'o'relationship milestones wit The Hun: First (and hopefully only!) time to 'officially' move out with a boyfriend (and his first transition from boyfriend to partner - but don't tell him). First decent photo together. A joint account. First phone bill. First electricity bill. First grocery trip for 'our' cupboard'. First holiday longer than just a few days with someone other than family. First mega-huge argument in a public place (dare YOU to spend the whole day in a theme park with somone who wants to go on rides but won't go alone EVEN THO YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY ARTICULATED THAT YOU HATE THEME PARK RIDES BUT JUST WANT TO GO FOR A FUN DAY OUT!!!). *Alert* Composure regained *End Alert*

etc etc.

This weekend we reached another milestone: First purchase of 'art' ('art', instead of art, because it is just a framed print).

We visited the frame sale in fyshwick that's been advertised like peanuts down in Canberra this weekend - it's on the same road where J-Racing used to be, just past Barbecues Galore (Fyshwick is also the pr0n capital of Australia for all you non-Canberrans).

I also highly recommend it (uselessly, as the sale is over) as the old guy was really nice and understanding when we found out my zoomy-broomy car is totally useless for transporting things and he showed us round the back as soon as he overheard us wondering aloud how a different print would look in a dark frame. Plus %50 off is a big incentive when I can honestly say I got two prints for $125 (%50 off $500, and we bought one each).

After spending an hour or so looking at every single picture in the shop, we finally came accross a set of two that we both liked (I discovered I have a 'thing' for flowers and colourful art that some see as 'nothing' or 'stoopid-manoopid', whilst The Hun has a thing for monochromatic prints with flashes of red - disregarded as I like to come home and relax, not come home and be tensely surrounded by images of murder).

The prints we decided on? Ilhan Yildrim's De avond and Esra.2, as displayed below:



They are each about one metre squared, framed in beautiful dark timber (our only requirement other than that we both have to like it) and glass covered.

I can't find a thing about the artist or the meaning of the prints. I like the colouring (there is a deep blue in the sky). I like the singularity (single tree, singla man, single moon). I like that it doesn't look like it belongs in Freedom furniture, or sitting out the front of a Koomari bin down near Gowrie shops. I like that it's framed and not just another poster. It's deep, calm, reflectionative (read: makes you reflect), sombre and grounding.

If anyone has any feedback on them, I'd love to hear it.

I'll also hammer The Hun for what he thinks it means n let you know.

But for now, it makes our home look like one for grownups. And that's good.

1 comment:

ChickyBabe said...

Congrats on your "firsts" - may them be as memorable as the ones you've listed!