Monday, August 29, 2005

Have you heard of Rory McLeod?

He's a folk singer and today he made me feel kinda naughty.

I first heard him at my first (and only) Folk Festival - held in Canberra each Easter (they also had The Waifs before they got 'discovered'). When I got home, M&D showed me they had one of his albums and I instantly fell in love with Footsteps and Heartbeats (this CD is residing with me at the Conder House as they seem to have forgotten I borrowed it for my room that night, circa 1999).

He's not very well known, but is really expressive and has some magnificent poetry in his lyrics - lonliness, love, need, want, excitment, lust and so on. Beautiful.


Anyways, I was a little suprised to find a copy of one of his albums in The Music Shop the other week (albeit on the sale table for $6.99 a double CD) and I was listening to it at work today.

For your entertainment and squirminess, let me reproduce some lyrics from the single When Mum and Daddy Made Me (you can tell this is going to be "interesting"), presumably a song to be sung lullaby stylez:

"...Daddy was laughing deep inside mummy and singing a river..."
"... like rowing a boat and their breaths were warm, they were rocking so deeply"
"... Daddy sang 'what a wonderful river to swim in, you are'..."
"... And mummy sang 'what is it that is making me hum?'..."
"... Mum sang "Your blossom, I feel you blossoming. I feel you blossom in me'..."

Hmm.

So it doesn't sound so naughty here.

Guess you had to be there.

But there should be a NSFW stamp accross any song that leaves me sitting at my desk with a confused goofy look accross my face as I feel unsure about whether to skip such an intimate confession or turn it up and start to chortle and grunt thinking about the lovely Rory rocking deeply like a boat and blossoming inside...

*...laptop hibernates...*

2 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

Am I the only one with a mind in the gutter?? ;)

Enny said...

no.

no you're not.

*winks*