Saturday, August 20, 2005

525,600 minutes*

Tomorrow The Hun and I will have been 'together' for 18 months. Not a big deal to him (or so he says) but I'm a girl and hence allowed to indulge myself in fancies like anniversaries, doilies, puppies in outfits and objects with rafia-work bases that their fathers had put there the night before but that weren't in the same place the next day.

So, fuelled by a Big Breakfast at My Cafe in Manuka, and a choctop during Unleashed (it was alright, tho proddly tarnished by the regulatory stoopid goofy talking and laughing guy sitting to my left, and the newborn that may have also been responsible for the BO-slash-aniseed scent that was haunting Woden Hoyts - I'm a reborn Hoyts Tuggies convert), I decided I shall relish you with a rundown of mine n the Huns 'history'. And I know you proddly don't care, but I'm trying to break the drought of Blog Patrol referral posts (see two previous posts)... For those guys that just dun care bout this kinda stuff, scroll to the bottom and leave a comment lookin' like you did read it for bonus points with the lay-deez.

I went to school with The Hun, all the way back from kindy, back in like '87. Kinda like the Summer of 69, but I was actually alive in 87, and the name wasn't as pervy. Apparently, a friend of ours has a photo from like year two, where the three of us are sitting together, reading Spot or something else typically Primary School.

However, I never really took any notice of him until about year 8. This was the year he started dating a friend of mine (who became a friend after they started dating). We would watch him n his friends play football on the oval at lunchtimes, and I'd watch wistfully as at the end of each game he was drawn like a magnet to her. I would sneak peeks out of the corner of my eye, wishing for the day that someone would hold me all the time, unable to walk anywhere without me parked in front of him, enveloped in his arms (hint to any younger readers: making yourself a new years resolution to get a boyfriend will not get you a boyfriend. Even if it is resolved every year from year 6. True Story).

Because I'm a she-bitch, I worked myself a bit of a crush on this guy, and because it was high school, they'd break up every few months or so. I remember being in the computer lab one lunchtime (I'm ignoring your sniggering) and having a friend run in to tell us that she'd dumped him. Again. For the last time. This was year ten and around the time that my friends became aware that I had a crush on him, including his now ex. And because she's so lovely like that, she dind't care. In fact, now, the both of them 'don't really count' their 3 year high school romance and get along just dandy. The closest I ever came to a high school date was participating one of those 'my friend likes you and says they'll go to the formal if you just ask'. Unfortunately, he was the one waiting to be asked, and because of such high school perculiarities as 'NoooOoooo!! I can't!!! Then he'll know I like him!!!" the closest I came was sitting at the same table as him at the formal. And taking a total stalker style pic of him when I called out his name, and caught him in suprise as he turned towards his name. Total. Romantic.

In College, I got my first boyfriend from the pizza shop I worked at. But, he was there and interested, whilst The Hun continued to feign disinterest. One night in August 99, The Hun and I were at a(n underage drinking) party and I remember talking to him a lot on the night. Yeah, I was officially taken, but I would have dropped the boyfriend (which I know is terrible). And I thought I was being fairly obvious with that, but boys are dumb, and thick, and he started going out with another girl from school.

This pattern continued uninterupted for a few months, until my 18th when he gave me a card and an oil burner for my birthday. The card contained a typical school crush message, a 'you're one of the things I miss the most about school but don't tell my girlfriend I told you this' type thing.

Needless to say, (after a night of drinking and skinny dipping with an 'associate') the old boyfriend was turfed and Enny was a-single again. For a month, before dating another guy. Apart from the night where I told The Hun that he 'always was and always would be my backup' (a totally endearing term meaning that I wanted him as mine), our resepective relationships continued on interupted for a few years. Until I realised that my boyfriend was cheating fuckwit bastard I could do better and dumped his disrespectin' ass we parted ways. Similarly, The Hun realised that not liking seeing your girlfriend around when the 'normal-distance then long-distance relationship' returned to normal-distance is a bad thing, they parted ways too.

In January 05, I started house-hunting with his ex. We had a mutual friend that we were each close too, but she backed out at the last minute, so we were looking to rent together. This was cool at the time as I'd never been that close to her at school (the whole 'I have a crush on your boyfriend' thang goes down better with good friends when they haven't, you know, had their heart broken by said boyfriend), and it meant that he'd proddly come to the parties or drop in sometime.

At the same time we discovered we had secured the Chifley House, she was discovered to have a large stomach tumour and couldn't move in for a while (terribly, this didn't stop us from asking her parents for the Bond) and the house was secured.

There was still a housewarming party though. Rumour was he wouldn't be attending as he was unwell. But he did. And there was that same tension, that same flirtation, and that same 'I'm looking at your boobs but not really 'looking') type thang. At the end of the night, after witnessing one of those awkward 'goobye' hugs that can only be shared by people that broke up four months earlier and haven't seen each other since then but want to keep up appearances, I invited him to come out to Civic with me.

Febraury 14th, 2005, The Hun came out to Civic with a friend of mine. Another 'flirt-tension-ish' night of dancing and drinking ensued, and he stayed at the newly found Chifley house. However, because he is a boy and boys are stoopid, he wasn't exactly clear about his intentions. Yeah, we did stay up talking until quite late that night, but he did let my friend practically pass out on his shoulder. So I vowed that I would find out the next weekend if anything was ever going to go ahead (I was outta home now - no time to dick around!!).

We had a farewell during the week for a friend who was going to Africa for a while, and The Hun and I chatted obscurely about the chances of us dating. The conclusion seemed to be that we couldn't get together, due mainly to the whole 'your housemate who was my ex isn't over me yet and she has cancer and that would be really innapropriate' thang.

Nontheless, Saturday the 21st of February 2005, The Hun came out to Civic again. A bit of drinking and pretend admonishment for perving ('Walk in front of me because my pants are falling down' 'Who else would get to look?' 'I'd let you but you've already told me you're not ready') lead to dancing in a group. Which led to dancing as a two after spotting his sister on the stage at In Blue. Which led to him shakin' n shimmyin his groove thang closer and closer to plant a kiss on my forehead. Which led us to getting his sister to drop us off at the Chifley house. We lay on the floor of the Chifley House loungroom for hours that night, and he called me his girlfriend.

The rest is history.

(Please note, his ex is fine. There was a big drunken screaming match that resulted in The Hun and I moving far, Far, FAR away from the Chifley House, and she did move into remission, then out of remission, but is back in remission and travelling through Europe atm and still 'in touch' and we can all be totally civil and at the same place together and all that.)

I spent all lunchtime yesterday looking for something small and not too sentimental to give to him, as a token of our time together. But I couldn't find a thing.

From the days when I would time my walking to school to when I would think it was most likely that he would ride past me.

To the times when I would dress up more for parties when I thought he would be there.

To that awkward week when it was obvious what I wanted him but he wasn't sure what was the right thing to do.

To the way that he always made me blush, sweat, seem totally awkward and say the stupidest things when he was around.

Tomorrow is 18 months of 'officialdom'.

And I'm the happiest Enny-Pen there ever could be.

*happy anniversary hunny-boo*
*Muah!*

*The title is taken from the musical "Rent" which we are going to see tomorrow which is my favourite musical of all time but being performed by the local "G-String Productions" group - review to follow, I imagine!

1 comment:

ChickyBabe said...

Congratulations Enny and Hun! Sounds like you two were always meant to be :).