Tuesday, July 26, 2005

EnnyPen 101 - Week 2

A lot has changed since the last time I was sitting here - hitting the refectory at UC, smack bang in the middle of lunch.

There are lines to buy stuff to eat now. And less places to buy from. And they all seem that much healthier. Like now, I have gourmet foccacia with ham, sundried tomato, mustard, grilled asparagus and zuchini (yeah, I'll be pickin out the greens and proddly leaving them to sogify in the paper bag).

The don't have redeye here anymore - only super sweet trendy nothing-drinks like BS V and catpiss red bull.

I still like to sit a few rows from the back in my lectures, but now I'm the one glaring at the chatters and gigglers, rather than being one them. I sit alone and actually listen and ingest what the lecturer is saying, rather than mucking around all the way through and then whinging that he moves too fast. Next week I plan to pluck up the courage to use my laptop for notes, because one of the things that hasn't changed is the attrocity that is my handwriting (plus someone else was doing it today so I won't be the only one). I'm also doing the readings before the lectures are on.

Instead of sitting with my old gang, planning another big night out or trying to con Davebo out of becoming an Eccyhead or hanging out for my uni-boyf, I'm sitting alone in the corner with my lappy, listening to Adem on my iPod (I'm a student now, so I can finally justify purchasing one all those years ago) and blogging.

I'm a little more confident in tutorials, more willing to have a say, tho still just as unlikely to get it right. And I think I'm getting even more flustered when I talk out loud, and feel just as awkward sitting next to strangers (who are just as intimidating even though they're younger).

I've already been down to the bar - my old hangout - but I don't think I'll be venturing to the computer labs - I'm determined to become a library rat and not a labrat. The wireless connection is stronger there and less likely to produce flashbacks as I have only ever been there a handful of times in my life (I wonder if my EnnyPen loves Stupid-ex loveheart grafiti is still there?)

It's like I've been transported back in time as a watcher - seeing all the people just like I used to be and getting random pangs of memories and recognition.

I was expecting it to be a bit easier this time, and nowhere near as nostalgic.

7 comments:

The Student said...

Red Eye!

The year was 1998, and a 19 year old student tried his first red eye...

Enny said...

I remember the first (and only) time I had three in a lunch time. I wagged my English class and sat in on a friends chemistry class, scratching at my wrists...

Can't get enough of the wonderful stuff!

The Student said...

Edit: I was 16. I wish I was 16.

ChickyBabe said...

Cool Pixie ;). The minute she starts talking to you, just let her know who's boss ;).

Enny said...

Heh heh - thanks for the correction - I was trying to do the maths on how old you'd be now if 19 in 1998 (came out to old than I thought)!

CB - I'm all up on her - she knows who's the Biatch round these parts ;o)

The Student said...

Trying to work out if it's legal to think about me in a compromising position?

Enny said...

heh heh - gimme a week to think of something witty and hi-larry-ous to come back with!