Saturday, December 10, 2005

It's gettin closer....

That's right - there's like 15 days till Christmas according to my Freddo Advent Calendar!!! Things are starting to warm up, what with the celebratory work lunches, work drinks and work deco's; with martial arts 'bashes' and sunburn and with the arguments with The Hun...

See, I like to think of myself as the ho-ho-ho tinsel come time for the old mas of Christ - the heart and spirit, the fun and festivity, the stuff that there's no such thing as too much... yet as much as I poke fun at everyone else for being 'Grinchy', I'm a biatch this time of year.

I have immense difficulty choosing presents - always seemingly leaning for towards buying people things that I like rather than what they want... reflecting on this I can already see I've done it again this year - I think I'm missing that 'pick the stuff for the other people' gene that must exist out there - like the time I bought a thumb ring shaped like a dragon for a conservative friend in high school (selfishness overcame me and I kept it and bought her something else the morning of her birthday, rather than having the sense to just buy it for me and buy her something else earlier than that....)

So with a stack of wrapped presents buring a hole in my wardrobe, I'm getting narky... add my inability to keep a secret (dun stop me from wanting to know them tho'!), my propensity for not always coping with stupid stuff like this and The Huns evil joy in spoiling Christmas I'm totally revelling in my

(OMG - SBS WAS JUST SHOWING A CARTOON OF THE INSIDE VIEW OF A LADIES MOUTH WHILE SHE WAS WANGING IT UP!!!)

... in my pouty Christmasness. This is the time of year that leaves me bawling in the bathrooms of DJ's in Woden (half a decade ago), storming out of bed (this morning) and badmouthing the Hun's Christmas spirit to all and nary (this morning, this afternoon, earlier this evening and... well, now).

Things are bound to get worse and worse as we get closer and he guesses more and more of his gifts and as the realisation sets in that he really isn't going to buy me a PSP.

*sigh*

/\-/\_/\-/\_/\-/\_/\-/\

A note for ladies (and SNAG's) - get off ur ass and go see Shopgirl. I wanna add it to my top ten now - I laughed, I cried and I smacked The Hun for snickering at me during said tears.

I liked Claire Danes from Romeo & Juliet (the defining movie of my teens as it was with all schoolgirls at the time) but I haven't seen much of her since then (other than reading that she ditched Ben Lee who, if he is reading this should listen up - Ben! Don't do it!! Don't go see it!! Seriosuly now, I totally feel your "Gamble Everything for Love" and I know you've done lots of thinking, refletcting, maturing and coming to terms with it all but this shit will tear you up. Call me instead - I've got daiquiri in a bucket!!! kisses!...) but she did really well with this and is now on my hero list - she's in good shape in the nud (I warned you Ben - call me!) and acted it all really well. And while normally I'm not a fan of Steve Martins (nor his character in this) I take my hat off to him for the novella, particularly the last bit he narrates at the end. It was beautiful, touching, heartfelt and feel good.

10 outta 10, frendz, 10 outta 10.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Your constant reminders of the looming face of Christmas are very depressing. Reminders that I've done 0% of my Christmas shopping...
I think I will have to go see Shopgirl on your recommendation. I'll let you know what I think when I do :)

Enny said...

Still haven't done any?! Ah ma!!

Lemme know what you think - I hope I haven't talked it up too much!!

Erica said...

Well...I have purchased one joke present for my Dad. A bottle of Poss Off Possum repellant from my work. He's constantly shaking his fist at the possums who are living in our roof and gets up there every night to try and close up their entry holes when they are out and about.

I can't just give him Poss Off though, so I'll have to get something else. And something else for all the other people I need to buy for...