Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Skip this one if ur over the vegan thang

Check out my recent emails with a Subway (eat fresh!) rep:

----------------------------

From: Enny
To: Subway Peeps

Hi,

I was just wondering which (if any) of your breads are suitable for vegans?

Kind Regards,
Enny

----------------------------

From: (Subway rep)
To: Enny

Yes they are vegan friendly.

Kind regards,
(Subway rep)

----------------------------

From: Enny
To: (Subway rep)

Hi (Subway rep),

I'm presuming the Parmesan Oregano bread isn't vegan due to the cheese.

Can you please confirm for me which breads do not contain ANY animal products?

Kind Regards,
Enny

----------------------------

From: (Subway rep)
To: (Other Subway rep)

Ummm… can you help me…?

From: (Other Subway rep)
To: (Subway rep)

The only vegan friendly options are:

White, Wheat & Honey Oat

From: (Subway rep)
To: Enny

FYI - Please see (above)

----------------------------

From: Enny
To: (Subway rep)

Hi (Subway rep),

Thanks for that - Also, it might help to take the Honey Oat off the vegan list - the majority of vegans won't eat honey!

Thanks again,
Enny

----------------------------

*rolls eyes in superior elitist manner*
*conducts internal monologue about how SOME people JUST DON'T GET IT*
*hunts kitchen for those vegan choccie biscuits*

2 comments:

Erica said...

Unfortuantely, I've found that most people don't quite understand the term "vegan".

The first time I ate out when I became vegan, I was with my ex and much to his embarassment (he got embarassed really easily) I asked what they had on the menu that was vegan. The waiter said "oh we have a special vegan menu, I'll just get it for you!", and came back with a menu labelled "Vegan Menu". I was all excited that it was so easy, and ordered a risotto, which came out covered in grated parmesan and obviously stirred through with cream. I didn't quite know what to do, and my ex warned me not to send it back or he'd be even more embarassed. I ended up eating half of it and feeling terrible with each mouthful.

I found after then you needed to explain what you didn't eat to the wait staff, often telling them you had "allergies to dairy and eggs", for them to be friendly and understand.

That's why you should eat at vegetarian/vegan restaurants. Much better food, much nicer staff, and much friendlier atmosphere.

Enny said...

matty - you wouldn't believe how competitive it is!!!

erica - at first I tried "I don't eat meat or eggs or dairy" but I wasn't quite sure if they really understood what I was getting at! Some places I go often, I'll ask a few questions each time and gradually suss out the whole menu, or I'll ask 'what's suitable for a vegan' and get a fairly good result. I'm looking into making up a little card with the stuff I can't eat so that if I can't speak direct to chef/floor manager, they can take it into the kitchen for me!! I know we have a few veggo restaraunts round here, I jus gotta go check em out =o)