Monday, October 02, 2006

Taking after others

I spent a fair bit of time with my parents this weekend - Sat morning we went to Floriade, the new Brand Depot and then to Fyshwick for some outdoor furniture (good, ok and ordered). While we were out and about I asked Dadsy if he could call his friend who'd promised we could borrrow some PA equipment to use for the tournament (LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO GO - ACK!) and he mentioned they'd be coming over for dinner one night this weekend - so last night I went back to Gowrie for dinner with Mumsy and Dadsy, the two family friends and youngest bro.

And I got to thinking about how influenced we are by our parents.

Me? I take after my father....

"Is that Nana's necklace?"
"Yup"
"I bought that for her for Mothers Day... she was so happy... do you wear it all the time?"
"Yup"
"It's a diamond in there, isn't it?"
"Yup"
"She'd be so proud..."

My Nana died when I was in primary school, and my Pa gave me the necklace a few years ago when he was in the process of giving things away, preparing to "move along" (it was years before that actually happened!).... I wore it from the day I got it - it's generally only removed for martial arts - present in almost ALL my photo's for the last few years.

It's not one I would've picked out myself, not one thats 'in style', not one that I can even tell what it is - I've been asked why I have the Eiffel Tower or New Parliament House around my neck - but it stays on all the time. Becuase it means something to my parents and woulda meant something to my Nana and Pa.

My life so far is full of these occurances - my choice of name for a future daughter is one my parents wanted to use, I spend the same way my parents spend, I drink like my parents (tho different drink of choice), I was a blue cheese addict... I'm like a little mini-them.

While we were driving out to the Brand Depot we were talking about Magf's upcoming wedding and the number of people that might be coming along.

"When you get married, So and so will hafta be there.. and so and so, and so and so, and so and so too..."

As a part of this, I've inherited my parents friends too. People that have been around as long as I can remember, people almost considered as friends of my own. And people that will no doubt be around when I have children of my own.

And over laksa and margerita's, the conversation flowed - trivial pursuit, bathing in soft drink, robots and movies.

With the arrival of The Huns BF's (he doesn't technically have a BEST friend, but he was the best man at this guys wedding and best man friend sounds a lil... well... y'know) first child earlier this week, I begin to think about a time in the future when we'll be those friends - maybe not for The Hun's BF, but for someone.

To integrate into multiple generations of a family that is not your own, to be entangled and touched by the influence of many.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

D'Jen said...

Awww, that's such a nice post Enny.

I am fairly different to my parents, I seem to be pretty much a clone of my mum when she was my age (from all the people who knew my mum when she was young), but personality wise I'm different to my parents.

It's nice you have non family people who are so permanent in your life, I think it's so good to have people like that.

Enny said...

D'jen - why thanks! I think I was jus rambling, had a whole lot goin on in my head and not a lot of sense being made... Apparantly my voice is the thing I have most in common with my mum. And it IS good to have those people =o)

Adam said...

Ohhhhhhh, I thought BF meant boyfriend.

Enny said...

adam - I even warned you about that!