So here's my wrapup from the last time you properly heard from me!
Tuesday 10/10/10: The daytime was spent cleaning out the hall where the 3 day camp was to be held, sorting and filing papers, picking up instructors from the airport and dinner with all the 3rd, 4th and 5th Dans.
- Catching up with all the guys from all over Australia;
- Lovely Turkish from Pide House in the City; and
- Seeing the keyrings we ordered and getting one before anyone else!
- Arriving only JUST on time at the airport and having to run through the terminal as we mistook the carrier for another;
- Standing in a wardrobe sized room that is to be for your GrandMaster in less than 24 and realising it's packed full of rubbish, mould and rat turds and stanking of RAT P!SS!!!
- Being told by the Grand Master to 'just relax' after you get into the lift last and realising you're staring at everyone, so turn around quickly but not quickly enough that the don't see you cringing bright red.
Wednesday 11/10/10: Up at 6:30 for first day of Dan Camp - got kicked AGAIN in shin bruises! Long day, fell asleep on the couch at The Hun's parents house and so left at 9 - only to find a possum someone had hit and left abandoned in the middle of the road.
- Being inspired by the Grand Master; and
- Yummo vegan patties at The Huns parents.
- The kicks in the shin bruises that caused me to hobble straight away;
- Finding the dying possum in the middle of the road with it's dead baby nearby, and watching it for 20 minutes alone while waiting for my old boss (who works with WIRES) to arrive - jus before she arrived, a different lady stopped to help and she got a person in a nearby house to bring out a towel to wrap it up and then he buried the baby. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw the dark of the road and the night, and the light of the headlights on the dying animal as she'd limp around and then sit very still for a minute or so, before coughing and moving again. She had to be put down that night; and
- Driving around for two hours with youngest bro as we waited for the Darwinian who stayed at our place a few months ago to meet up with our senior instructor to get Chinese herbal remedy for his
Monkey Aidsinfected leg sore, only to find out he didn't have time to be seen to.
Thursday 12/10/10: Up at 6:30 for the second day of Dan Camp - LUCKILY I wore my super new shin guard on my right leg so the kicks I got didn't hurt! Did, however, get taken down a bruised on the spine. Mmm - spine bruising.
- First dinner with the rest of the Dans; and
- General training goodness.
- Before mentioned spine bruising;
- Getting kicked in wrist and seeing toenail marks from the 2nd Dan I CAN'T STAND!; and
- Only one vegan option at El Dorado in Dickson that gave me "firebelly" all night.
Friday 13/10/10: Up at 6:30 for the final day of Dan Camp!
- Dinner with a smaller group of dans at Zeferellis in Dickson - fantastic company and a good time!
- More spine bruising;
- Forgetting my lunch bag; and
- Doing a demo with the Grandmaster and getting super self concious, then being told I need to act more sporty and confident and coordinated.
Saturday 14/10/10: Up at 6:30 for the seminars, running through the rules with another visitor and the social mixer that had to change venue less than two weeks ago!
- Seminars going really, really well;
- Catching out the girl who we've had training 'issues' with that said that she was unable to attend the tournament due to a family trip to Sydney... walking through the Civic foodcourt;
- Social mixer for 120 people at Red Belly Black in the city - everybody should go there, the boss man was so lovely and saw us off with 'Thankyou for giving us a chance!'; and
- 'Bling' jewellery from the Grand Master and his wife as token of appreciation.
- Super nerves before radio interview at 7:30 in the morning - eep!; and
- Having to setup ANOTHER hall and having to use an 'adult voice' to get the students to do what we were asking.
- Winning first (out of 6) in weapons;
- Getting Magf back with a palm heel in the cheek (she kicked my face last time!); and
- MASSIVE bunch of flowers for thanks!
- SUPER HIGH STRESS LEVELS;
- Getting second out of two people in both form divisions;
- Being paid out for my 'un rightful' first when both Magf and I were awarded first place for out two person sparring;
- Nearly being involved in biffo after Magf accused a 2nd Dan and 3rd Dan of 'colluding' after all their scored were the same for one session and they were talking during the judging (UNPROFESSIONAL!) AND they awarded our three students the same marks as the 'slow' guy when it was VERY obvious they should be at LEAST a little higher!
- Knowing it was over and I could start to relax; and
- Having someone come look at the car who may be buying it this weekend!
- Getting lost on the way to the airport from the city with the Grand Master in the car - TWICE!!!
- Being asked by the Grand Master when I am finally going to relax; and
- Not being fully prepared for my karate kids class.
- Taking the other Darwin guy sightseeing - Questacon, New Parliament House, War Memorial, Mount Ainslie, Fyshwick, DFO - HOORAY!
- Going to Nutrimetics at Magf's and feeling ready to sleep straight away.
- Telling one of the first dans we'll only grade him if he adjusts his attitude - and him gettin gupset, emotional and monkey sh!t at me; and
- Staying up until 3am attempting to do accounting.
Normal posting to resume NOW!