Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Luck of the Irish... well, Japanese Irish*

{Deleted by the Author - sorry dudes!}

Over dinner of pizza I recognised two different behaviours - One moving throughout the minigroups and the other sitting at the table with the chips; one hulking over a pizza box with her boyfriend and only participating between bites to offer advice (which it now appears she has no experience to be giving) and the other sitting over two pieces and lively participating in conversation; one joking about baking a fruit pie (it came in a box! *snicker!*) and the other asking when it would be ready.

And I thought to myself - I don't want to that type of person. Don't get me wrong, I don't want really be that type of person either, but she also portrayed a lot of behaviours related to insecurites about myself that struck too close to home.

Upon returing to work on Monday and chatting to my boss we realised that we really need to get serious about losing some weight. Don't get me wrong - I fit into my dress so I haven't packed on a fat-suit equivalent but I have some muffin I could shed.

AND HENCE THE CHALLENGE BEGAN.

Starting Thursday 12/01/06, my boss and I are attending our first WeightWatchers together (again, I've done it before!). We have pencilled in a new gym schedule. We have a target of losing 10 kilos each by Wednesday 12/04/06.

During this time there are quite a few milestones - The Huns sisters 21st, The Huns cousins wedding, my 24th (AAARGH!!!), The Huns 24th, A dinner for the two sets of parents to 'officially' meet, our 2 year anniversay, our 1-yr-living-together-anniversary, a trip to the coast, a trip (or two or three) to Sydney, potentially a trip to Melbourne, a couple of work birthdays etc etc etc. The fact that I realised these things points out one of my flaws - I'm associating all of these events with what I can eat at them and not just celebrating them for what they are.

I'm tired of being ruled by food.

News travelled quickly thru the bay (well, we were talking to the other one of the HR ladies) and she decided that she would use those dates to quit smoking. Not that she's 'really a smoker' - just when she's stressed, or at home of an afternoon, or cranky, or when she's walking over to get her lunch, or when she can bum one of someone.

Should she not have 'quit' by the April date she will be coming to a cycle class at the gym with us. Should we not lose the weight (apparantly 9kg may be okay but she will judge at the time), my boss and I must split the cost of her having lunch at the Hyatt. Should we all pass - lunch for everyone!!

There is also a seconday clause covering the three months aftwewards where we must stabilise our weight and she must resist the temptation to inhale some cancer.

BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE!

The middle techo guy must get a six-pack (Three cheers for Body-for-life!)!

The junior techno guy must give up smoking too! (Big deal, he's a heavy smoker!).

The... no that's it (the rest of the team is still on holiday) (f*&#ers).

Watch as productivity falls! Witness a severe rise in absenteeism! Be shocked and awed as morale plummets!

And while you're at it, why not join in? Is there something you want to give up/take up/promise? Have a think about it - it seems to be the season for it.

*A friend visiting from working in Japan passed on a Japanese ribbon that features three leaf clovers. I plan to use it for strength and motivation.**

**It's the small things that help, people!

3 comments:

Erica said...

You should definately come to Melbourne! It's so much better than Sydney, and I have been up there numerous times to compare.

I could probably do with increasing my fitness, so perhaps I will join you virtually in your exercise quest. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

hellooo..
im a complete randomer but i was googleing japanese irish and this came up. haha I'm half japanese half irish.. (:

ken lynch said...

I googled Japanese-Irish as well and arrived here. I am also Japanese and Irish