In the spirit of not thinkin much, I've decided to post a meme that I've spent plenty of time thinking about, yet never actually documented (kindly borrowed from CB).
Five Weird Habits.
1) Seperatism - I just can't eat foods all mixed up together. Did someone say Ali Baba? I'll spread it out over the food-court table, eat my chicken (with a fork!) first, then the lettuce, then tear the bread up into bits. Subway - follow simlar procdure. Toast? That'll be crust first, then the top layer with all the spread on it, then the dry crusty bottom bit. Etc. Being one to have tricky habits that come in groups, I'm also...
2) Against sloppy foods! The first time I tried dip was around March 27 2004 on my first birthday date out with The Hun at the Turkish Pide House in Woden. Before then, I'd never actually tried it for fear of not liking it. Similarly, I only tried soup for the first time within the last two years or so, as well as sauce. Something must've happened somewhere along the line, as for as long as I can remember, my weetbix has always been eaten as a bite of dry biscuit, then a little sip of milk. Never. Have. Milk. In. The. Bowl. Only. Out. Of. Cup
3) Praying. This in itself might seem odd to many people, but I have to do it in the correct order. Hail Mary full of grace the lord is with the blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of they womb Jesus Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death Amen Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed by thy name thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who trespassed against us and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil Amen For the sick the lonely and the out of work dear mother of perpetuasaka* please watch over us today For all those people who have died Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them may they rest in peace Amen Dear Lord please grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to know the difference Amen.
The thing is, if I get halfway thru and feel like I'm jus doin it from rote memory and not really 'feeling' it, I gotta start again. And if I'm not sure I've said them all, I start again. If I'm still awake at the end of it (it's what usually sends me to sleep) then I pray for The Hun and my Pa and my family - tho I very rarely make it to that point.
*I have not idea what the word is - I got taught the prayer when I was in year 5 and never questioned it then and have never been able to find out what it means.
BREAKS FOR ANOTHER DRINK.
4) I can't close my eyes or turn my back to the door of the shower. I've told Erica about this one, but when I was younger I was channel surfing and came accrose some ER type crime type show, where a women who must've met someone who was attacked whilst in the shower thought she would 're-enact' being in the shower and being attacked - that is eyes closed and back to the door of the shower convulsing in tears of fright. Since that point I can't close my eyes for more than like the count of three without having to open them, no matter how much it makes my eyes sting. In the moment before I open my eyes, I have to mentally prepare myself for the possibility of someone being on the otherside of the frosted glass. Not that it would help - I'm the jumpiest bisnatch on the block.
5) I should be getting ready and not blogging, so my fifth would be my nas-tay relationship with water. When I was in high school I went with two of my cousins to Tuggeranong Pool. Having never learnt to swim (I was too embarassed to show my instructor so I never got past the super basic level in primary school lessons) I wasn't meant to go into the deep pool. My elder cousin thought he would test it and he treaded water in the middle and told me to swim out to him and his sister. Needless to say, my memories of that day are of pushing up of the bottom of the pool, gasping for air, grabbing for my rellies, sinking again (and repeat) whislst some old women looked in over us, telling us that we deserved it for "mucking around". I can still see her outline thru the blur of the water. Since then, I've NEVER gone into water where I can't touch the bottom and still have my head above water at the very minimum (standing at 178cm) - does not bode well for the aqua-aerobics I've agreed to try on Tuesday night! That said, that's more of a traumatic experience than a weird thing, but I've really gotta go shower and find something to wear!
Stay tuned for a (potentially) sober recap/refresh of this meme!